Speech and Language Therapy
Symbol UK has been in existence, on a not for profit basis, since 1998 and employs approximately 50 speech and language therapy staff working predominantly across the South East of England. The service is built on a foundation of sound clinical skills with professional supervision and competence at the heart of what we do.
Staff and subsequently the settings in which they work benefit from the network of skills and experience throughout Symbol UK on which they can draw.
Our specialist speech and language therapy services have supported children, young people and adults with speech, language and communication needs in a variety of settings.
We are incredibly proud of the achievements attained by our highly skilled and professional staff teams. Their commitment, enthusiasm and motivation are inspirational.
Partnership & skill sharing is integral to our philosophy and underpins our services and professional relationships, not only with commissioners and professional colleagues, but with parents, families and carers.
Our approach is always based on working collaboratively with parents, carers, professional teams and support staff to develop communication, eating and drinking targets which will allow each individual to have maximum levels of achievement, functional skills and inclusion. This will involve us working within a variety of environments to support communication needs. Our current and recent work includes:
Service provision in a range of special schools, including those for pupils with specific language impairment, autistic spectrum disorders, moderate and severe learning disabilities, hearing impairment, visual impairment and physical disability
- Supporting students in mainstream schools and Colleges of Further Education
- Preschool services, including Sure Start Children’s Centres
- Developing life skills with teenagers and adults
- Supporting adults in a range of community settings
- Working with young offenders
- Developing staff knowledge, skills and confidence in a range of settings
- Training co-workers and specialist speech and language therapists in working with children and adults with Down Syndrome
- Specialised short courses in, for example, Augmentative and Assistive Communication, Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities, Challenging behaviour, Effective working in schools, Person Centred Communication, Visual communication strategies and Management of eating and drinking disorders
- Providing independent reviews of speech and language therapy provision in several local authorities. Partnership working with organisations such as I CAN, Down Syndrome Association, NSPCC and The Communication Trust
Our teams and services are tailored to local needs and led by senior speech and language therapists.
Symbol exists to create choices for individuals and innovative and effective solutions for organisations. We strive to work in partnership with others to improve the quality of knowledge and opportunity for those we support.