HOP STITCH & JUMPER
Hop, Stitch and Jumper is a brand new exciting fabric, yarn, craft and haberdashery centre for Kent run by Symbol’s charity arm (The Symbol Trust). In 2016 inspired by both a love of all things ‘craft’ and a frustration about the lack of employment opportunities for people with learning disabilities, we opened our first shop. We were determined that any venture of this nature would be of the highest quality and we think that we have ‘nailed it’ in a number of ways:
- We have a great venue in the heart of Maidstone
- We sell high end products in a beautifully presented shop
- The products themselves are popular with the public and sell well
- The shop provides a great customer experience
- Over 15 people with learning disabilities are involved in the running of the shop
What do we sell?
- A stunning range of beautiful fabrics sourced from mills across the United Kingdom.
- An array of wools and yarns garment patterns, including Vogue, McCalls and Butterick and a selection of knitting and crochet patterns.
- A large collection of haberdashery products.
In addition, you can get support from our superb Technical Advice Centre to help you with the things you are making and you can attend a wide variety of workshops, to learn new skills or improve ones you already have, covering all sewing, knitting and rural craft skills.
Monday – Closed
Tuesday-Friday: 9.30am – 5pm
Saturday: 9am – 5pm
Sunday - Closed
Added Value or ‘The Symbol Factor’…
The shop is staffed by people with and without learning disabilities. Between them they have expertise in retail and a wide variety of crafts. Those with learning disabilities are working in the shop at different stages of the employment journey:
- Some are gaining valuable work experience
- Some are undertaking retail related qualifications
- Some are in paid employment
How can you get involved?
If you are as crazy about crafts as we are, then first of all come in to see us, have a chat and get shopping! You can also ring us to place an order and very soon we will be opening an on-line shopping option. In addition, you can:
- Follow us on Facebook (insert link)– we are always posting information about up and coming events, new orders and sharing exciting stories and images.
- Donate good quality materials including even buttons
Where are we?
You will find us at:
32 Royal Star Arcade,
TO FIND OUT MORE:
Telephone: 01622 859216